FINANCIAL AID/SCHOLARSHIPS:All students applying to college should be filling out the free application for Federal Student Aid(FAFSA.) New in 2016 FAFSA becomes available online on October 1st(and is due March 1st.) It requires informatoin from the prior years tax documents. That means you do not need to wait until the current tax season is completed.
Scholarships that are available to Montabella Students
- Jack Kent Cooke Foundation Scholarship: Must have a 3.5 GPA, SAT combined critical reading and math score of 1200(based on old SAT scores) or above and/or ACT composite score of 26 or above. Plan to graduate from a US high school in the spring of 2017. Intend to enroll in an accredited four-year college beginning in the fall of 2017. Demonstrate significant unmet financial need. We will considere applicants with family incomes up to $95,000. However, we anticipate that a majority of scholarship recipients will be eligible to recieve a Pell Grant. The deadline for all application materials is November 30, 2016 at noon EST.
- Elks Scholars: The Elks Most Valuable Student Scholarship is open to high achieveing seniors. Awards are between $1,000 - $12,500. Everything is now completed online. The deadline to apply is November 30, 2016.
- Education Matters: Submit an online short written response(250 words or less) for the question: "What would you say to someone who thinks education doesn't matter, or that college is a waste of time and money?" The deadline is November 30, 2016.
- Burger King Scholarship: Have a cumulative high school grade point average of 2.0 or higher on a 4.0 scale, or the equivalent. Plan to enroll full-time, without interruption, for the entire 2017-2018 academic year at an accredited two or four year college, university or vocational/technical school in the U.S., Canada or Puerto Rico. Application Deadline is Decmber 15, 2016.
- NRA Defense Scholarship: The NRA Civil rights Defense Fund uses an essay format. The theme for the essay is "What does the 2nd Amendment mean to you?" Essays will be judges in two categories. Srnior(grades9-12) and Junior(grades 8 and below), with seperate cash prizes awarded to the winners in each category. First place cash prizes are $1,000, $600 for second place, $200 for third place, and $100 for fourth place. The entry deadline for this contest is December 31, 2016.
- Guy Wilson Scholarship: GPA of 2.5 and a grandparent or great-grandparent as a war-time vet. $500.Due January 9th, 2017(must be postmarked by the 8th)
- William D. & Jewell Brewer Scholarship: GPA of 2.5 and a grandparent or great-grandparent as a war-time vet. $500.Due January 9th, 2017(must be postmarked by the 8th)
- Lake Michigan Credit Union-Lloyd F. Hutt Scholarship: Write an essay answering the following question: "You have the entire country's attention for one hour. What do you say?" Submit application and essays online. DO NOT need to be a member to apply. 10 - $2,000 scholarships are being offered. Due January 31st, 2017.
- Alcohol Addiction Awareness Essay Contest: Student must be 18 years of age in order to participate. Essay must not exceed 1,200 words and is written on the following prompt: "How alcohol abuse and addiction affects the modern society? And what steps can be taken to decrease the impact of alcohol abuse and addictions on people in society." Due February 1, 2017.
- Gleaner Life Insurance Scholarship: The application is to be completed online. In order to be eligible for consideration the student must be a Gleaner member or a member of a Gleaner family(parent, child, grandchild, sibling). The student must also be a HS senior that is planning to/or currently attending an accredited vocational/techinical school, college, university. Scholarship is worth $3,000. Due February 1, 2017.
- FFA Scholarships - for Members and Non-Members: The application is to be completed online. All applicants must make an account. Due February 1, 2017.
- Montabella Common Scholarships: Check the boxes of the scholarships you would like to apply for(click here for criteria.) These may be typed and also requires one short, double spaced essay. Due to Miss Prine on March 1, 2017. NO EXCEPTIONS(So turn it in early.)
- Rosa Parks Scholarship Foundation: Students must have a 2.5 GPA. The application must be completed and two letters of recommendation are required. The essay should be 200-300 words long and on the topic: "Segregation was the defining social issue when Rosa Parks took her historic stand. Select a social issue that you think shodl be addressed today. how will YOU use the principles of Rosa Parks to address it?" 1,000 High School students recieve $2,000. Due March 1, 2017.
- Isabella Bank Scholarship: One will be awarded to a Montaella senior. All applicants must have a 3.0 GPA or better and have completed the online application and essay. Scholarship is worth $750. Due March 3, 2017.
- Herbert H. Leuth Scholarship: Student shall be the child(legal dependant) of an employee at the Medler Electric Company. Applicants shall be a high school graduate and demonstrated academic abilit as follows: 2.0 grade point average for those attending a two year trade school or community college, or a minimum 3.0 grade point average for those attending a four year college or university. Five awards of $1,000 will be awarded. Due March 3, 2017.
- Garland-Schilling Scholarship: Applicants must meet the following criteria to be eligible for the Garland-Schilling Scholarship: student shall be the child, grandchild or ward of a current employee, volunteer or other associate of Mid-Michigan Industries(relationship should be stated in the applicant's essay); student shall be a graduating senior wiht a minimum 3.25 grade point average. Two awards of $500 will be awarded. Due March 3, 2017.
- Harry Tope Aviation Scholarship: Applicants must be interested in advancing their education in the field of aviation, or be interested in advancing their career skills in the field of aviation. Applicant must also be a resident of the Mid-Michigan Area(Isabella, Gratiot, Mecosta, Clare, Midland, or Montcalm Counties.) One award worth $3,000 will be awarded. Due March 3, 2017.
- Montcalm Community College Scholarships: Many different awards are available. Apply online thorugh MCC's website. The link is here then just click on 2017-2018 MCCF Scholarships. Due March 10, 2017.
- Michigan Retailers Association)MRA): Student or his/her parent must be employed at a business that is a member of the MRA. Students can contact Ms. Schafter at 800-366-3699 to find out if a particular business is an MRA member. Applications must be requiested by March 15th and submitted online by Apring 1st.
- Tri-County Electric: Applicants must be a high school senior, parents or guradians also are currently member-owners of the cooperative. Their primary residence must be in HomeWorks Tri-County Electic Cooperative's service area. Download the word document off the website to complete the application process. 2 - $1,000 and 2 - $500 scholarships are available. Due March 15, 2017.
- Van Houten - Six Lakes Scholarship: Application must be typed. Applicant must have a minimum 2.5 GPA and be a resident of Six Lakes or the surrounding area. They must also be a 2017 Montabella graduate. Prefernce given to those in band and athletics. Due to Miss Prine by March 20, 2017.
- Ash Scholarship: Application must be typed. Please check eligibity requirements here. Those attending MCC must apply through MCC's scholarship application for this cholarship not this one. Complete the application and essay. Worth up to $8,000 which is distributed $2,000 a year. Due to Miss Prine by March 20, 2017.
- Community First Federal Credit Union: Senior students who are members of or have a family that are members of the CFFCU. Student must reside in CFFCU membership area. Must have a GPA of 3.0 or above. Preferces goes to students who show particpation in community events, volunteerism and involvement in their community. Due March 20, 2017 to CFFCU.
- The Little Store Award: The Little Store in Six Lakes would like to sponsor an award for a student who is planning to pursue a degree in the health professions/medical field. The application is due March 23, 2017 to Miss Prine.
- Claudia S. Riley Memorial Scholarship: All applicants must complete the application which includes a brief essay(1-2 pages). The application is due March 29, 2017.
- Dennis R. Riley Memorial Scholarship: All applicants must complete the application which includes a brief essay(1-2 pages). The application is due March 29, 2017.
- Flat River Community Players - Hilda M. Sorvari Memorial Scholarship: The scholarship will be given annually by the FRCP to a high school or college student who plans on being involved in theater during his/her college career or in their community theatre as an adult pastime. Completed application is due postmarked March 31, 2017.
- Montcalm Conservation District Scholarship: Students who are interested in agriculture, natural resources or environmental fields of study. One $1000 reward will be given. Completed application is due back to the Montcalm Conservation District March 31, 2017.
- American Legion Scholarship - guy Stanton Post 240: Two letters of recommendation needed and a short essay of why you shouold receive the award. Award worth $500. Due April 1, 2017.
- Mercantile Bank Scholarship: This scholarship has been creatd to recognize individuals who throughout their high school careers have exhibited outstanding academic achievements and community service. Requires a 3.5 GPA. three scholarships are awarded to the residents of Mecosta or Montcalm County. Due back to the bank by April 8, 2017.
- Sons of American Legion: Applicants must have at least one family member that is currently or has previously served in any brank of the armed forces. They must also have a Blanchard zip code or have a family member in the Guy Stanton Post 240 Due postmarked by April 15, 2017.
- Michigan Emergency Management Association $500 Professional Scholarship: Students must have a 2.5 GPA or higher and is planning to enroll in an Emergency Management Program or Public Safety Track(ex. Law Enforcement.) Contact firstname.lastname@example.org to request an application via email.Due postmarked by April 15, 2017.
- Michigan Sugar Queen Scholarship: Female gradutes must be 18 years old by the end of June 2016 and maintain an overall 3.0 GPA. One $2,000 and two $1,000 scholarships are available to those living in certain Mid-Michigan counties. Applications must be mailed by April 22, 2017. Applications can be downloaded here.Due postmarked by April 15, 2017.
- Imagine America Scholarship: Students planning to attend one of the participating career college programs. High School GPA is a 2.5 or higher. Apply online now for your school to nominate you at http://www.imagine-america.org/highschoolscholarships/applicationprocess .
- Kickin Cancer David N Schapp Inc Scholarship Application: Complete the applicationa nd attach a brief summary of your goals you have for yourself. letter of recommendation from a teacher is needed.Due May 1, 2017.
- Nina Curtis Scholarship: Applicants must be Montabella alumni with college credits for Junior or Senior status. Full time college studetns only.Due June 30, 2017.
General Financial Aid Resources
FAFSA: Free Application for Federal Student Aid FAFSA Free Application for Federal student Aid is available online at www.fafsa.ed.gov — paper applications are no longer being sent to schools, but you can get one by calling 1-800-433-3243. Be sure to fill this out even if you think you may not qualify since the information may be used for other aid by the colleges/universities. The FAFSA Free Application for Federal student Aid is available online at www.fafsa.ed.gov — paper applications are no longer being sent to schools, but you can get one by calling 1-800-433-3243. Be sure to fill this out even if you think you may not qualify since the information may be used for other aid by the colleges/universities.
MI Competitive Scholarship: JUNIORS to be considered eligble for the state of MIchigan Competitive Scholarship you must take the SAT prior to December of your senior year. Alogn with that you must:
- Achieve a qualifying SAT Score
- Demonstrate financial need
- Be a Michigan resident
- Enroll at least half-time at an eligible Michigan college/university
- Be a US citizen, permanent resident.
- Not have a bachelor's degree
Other Sources for financial aid: